SUSPECTED, CLOSE CONTACT, OR CONFIRMED COVID-19 EMPLOYEE PROTOCOL
The following guidance outlines the actions that employees and supervisors must take if they suspect they might have COVID-19, an employee is deemed a close contact of a COVID-19 positive individual, or a Citadel employee is diagnosed with COVID-19. These actions are intended to protect the health and safety of campus occupants and are not medical guidance.
The steps below address (A) a “suspected” case where an employee has symptoms, was a close contact, or it is possible they have COVID-19 and (B) a confirmed positive case of COVID-19 among campus occupants
(A) SUSPECTED CASE OF COVID-19:
1) If an employee is showing symptoms of COVID-19, was deemed a close contact of someone with COVID-19, or is awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test, they should:
- Remain home or go home and quarantine, minimizing interaction with others. · Seek care if needed via MUSC Virtual Care, Roper Virtual Care, or another appropriate telehealth provider.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to report symptoms, close contact details, or testing arrangement. HR will inform the employee on the appropriate time to return to work based on their situation.
- Contact their supervisor about current symptoms AND upon receipt of diagnostic results as soon as possible.
- When/If a COVID-19 test is administered please e-mail email@example.com with notification of last day on campus and update on the diagnosis.
2) The Supervisor should:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate case management protocols. The Citadel will notify potentially impacted employees or students and inform them of any additional actions.
- Prolonged close contacts will be informed if a positive diagnosis occurs, but supervisors must maintain the confidentiality of the impacted employee as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Consider relocating individuals until the area has been cleaned or have employees work from home if able.
- Remind employees to continue to practice social distancing, hand washing, and avoidance of sick individuals.
- Notify the respective department head/VP
3) Employees deemed close contacts (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes) individuals should:
- Leave work immediately and notify your supervisor.
- Contact email@example.com and provide details on exposure. HR will inform the employee on the appropriate time to return to work and update on leave benefits available.
- Stay at home, quarantine for 14 days, and practice social distancing.
- Call MUSC Virtual Care, Roper Virtual Care, or other appropriate telehealth provider and follow their recommendations.
- If a COVID-19 test is administered or symptoms appear, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with notification of the last day on campus and update on your symptoms.
4) Upon confirmation of a diagnosis, the employees should follow step (B) below.
(B) CONFIRMED CASE OF COVID-19:
1) If an employee is diagnosed with COVID-19 and the individual has frequented the Citadel’s campus within the past 14 days, they should:
- Remain home and isolate for a minimum of 10 days.
- Follow the recommendations of their physician.
- Notify their immediate supervisor, informing them of their condition and campus locations they have frequented.
- E-mail email@example.com with notification of last day on campus and receive an update on leave and other health benefits available.
- HR will initiate contact tracing protocols with Citadel COVID Liaison. The Citadel’s COVID Liaison will ask the employee to list names of close contacts and answer general questions about their overall health.
- Employees must cooperate with contact tracers per our protocol.
2) Supervisors (or the individual, if the supervisor is unavailable) should immediately contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and inform them of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis, and provide the following information:
- The individual’s name
- Preferred call back number
- Building name and potential room numbers, contacts, and common areas frequented by the individual
3) The Citadel will coordinate and conduct contact tracing and will:
- Work with the employee to determine who they had close contact with (defined as being within six feet of the employee for at least 15 minutes).
- Notify all close contacts and ask that they immediately quarantine for 14 days.
- Contact close proximity individuals within the potentially impacted area and inform them of the concern, and recommend they monitor for symptoms and remain at work unless they become symptomatic. Supervisors must maintain the confidentiality of the impacted employee’s identification as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Update on leave and other health benefits available.
- Contact Wally Nava at email@example.com to coordinate notification to Budd Group. Facilities/Budd Group personnel will clean and disinfect the impacted building per CDC guidance using trained personnel and proper PPE.
- Notify respective department head/VP and update campus-wide reporting document.
- Contact the Department of Health and Environmental Control or other state or federal entities if needed.