In the fall of 1882, one hundred eighty-nine cadets reported to The Citadel for the first time in seventeen years. Before they were offered admission to the South Carolina Military Academy they were required to pass a rigorous 50-question entrance exam. Could you have passed the entrance exam in 1882? Take the test below and check your answers at the end!
Check out a high-resolution scan of the original entrance exam in The Citadel’s digital archives.
- From what place did Columbus sail on his first voyage to the New World?
- Where and when was the first permanent English settlement made in America?
- After whom was Carolina named?
- Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
- Name the British and American commanders at the battle of Cowpens.
- What was the date of the surrender at Yorktown?
- What President died one month after his inauguration?
- What South Carolinian was one Vice-President of the United States?
- Name the “Original Thirteen” States.
- What State first seceded from the Union, and what was the date of her secession?
- In what direction does the earth turn?
- Into how many equal parts is every circle divided?
- What is the Equator?
- Name the Zones in order, beginning at the North.
- What is the longest river in the Western Hemisphere?
- Bound South Carolina.
- Mention the States in the United States which border on the Atlantic.
- What two islands chiefly compost the British Isles?
- Where is the “Delta of the Nile?”
- What is the longest river in the world? What is the highest mountain?
- Define a vowel; a syllable.
- Define etymology; syntax.
- Define an adjective; a verb.
- Compare the adjectives “bad” and “fore.”
- How are verbs divided with respect to their form? How with respect to their meaning?
- Give the three principal parts of the verbs “see” and “lay.”
- Decline the pronouns “I” and “it.”
- Define a regular verb.
- What is the predicate of a sentence?
- Parse “John gave the book to his brother and me.”
(Answers to problems will not be considered unless accompanied by the work.)
- What is an odd number?
- Define a proper fraction; improper fraction; mixed number.
- Add 36 5/8, 42 2/3, 39 7/16, and 51 1/4.
- Solve 1 1/3 + 1/2 x 1/5 – 6 1/7 ÷ 9/7.
- What is the denominator of a decimal?
- Express by figures, according to decimal notation, four million seven hundred and thirty-five thousand nine hundred and one hundred-millionths.
- Multiple twenty-three hundredths by nine millionths.
- Divide fourteen thousand two hundred and seventy-four millionths by sixty-one thousandths.
- Reduce 3 miles 1 furlong 17 rods 2 yards 1 foot and 8 inches to inches.
- If 8 men mow 40 acres of grass in 3 days, how many acres will 9 men mow in 4 days?
Correct any errors which occur in the following words:
When you’re ready to see how you did, you can check the answer key here.